For the production of gelatine products, LEWA provides a series of solutions for various process steps:
- By using multiplex pumps for recipe metering or complete systems, LEWA provides hygienic alternatives in the entire process for producing gelatine.
- For each component of the recipe metering (sugar and gelatine solution, color, flavor, acid, etc.) a metering unit is used that consists of at least one LEWA metering pump and a downstream static mixer.
- As early as the project stage, calculations are carried out for optimizing the suction side conditions.
- LEWA multiplex process pumps with a hygiene-compliant diaphragm pump head are the tried-and-tested solution for sterile metering of gelatine into a cooler.
- LEWA multiplex pumps always convey with the greatest precision, even at a counterpressure from 20 to 50 bar, which can arise during the drying process.
- Sanitary/hygiene-compliant design of the pumps used with the least dead space
- Wetted parts are FDA-compliant as well as tested and documented for USP Class VI
- Material certificates in accordance with EN 10204 3.1
- Surfaces of the pump polished mechanically (316/316L-1.4401/1.4404: RA < 0.8µm) or polished mechanically and electro-polished (1.4435: RA < 0.5µm).
- Easy to clean in accordance with recognized industrial standards (EHEDG, QHD, FDA and USP Class VI-compliant)
- The pumps can be sterilized with hot water or steam at up to 150 °C.
There is a distinction made between bone gelatin, which is obtained from long bones of the legs of calves and cattles and dermic gelatin, which is derived from tanneries waste, pork rind and cows’ and cattles’ heads.
The bones are cleaned, shredded and macerated. The tricalcium phosphate in the bone tissue is removed with dilute hydrochloric acid. Then, it is multiply watered and treated with lime water (“liming”). The next steps are the neutralization of the acid and further washing procedures.
The gelatin is extracted from the washed-out bone collagen in multiple steps, pre-cleaned in separators and afterwards filtrated.
The filtration is a typical application for metering pumps: Diatomaceous earth or perlite slurries are added to the alluvial filter. Flow rates are below 360 l/h and pressures are below 8 bar.
The separation yields an aqueous gelatin solution with a concentration of approximately 6 %. The gelatin content is increased to approx. 30 % in a single or multi-stage vacuum evaporation column. The viscosity goes up to 1500 mPa∙s. This solution now is fed to a drying process.
This is the main application area for multiplex pumps. The task of these pumps is the germ-free metering of the gelatin into a cooler with subsequent fragmentation and drying. The transition from gel-type state to solid state leads to back pressures from 20 to 50 bar.
As the leading manufacturer of pumps and pump systems for the pharmaceutical, life sciences, and biotechnology industries, LEWA supports you during the development of complete solutions, which meet your process requirements exactly. Special expertise is required in the production of pharmaceuticals in order to ensure that legal requirements are met. Reliability when it comes to production, documentation, and validation are our top priorities.More Details
LEWA supports producers and plant construction companies in the food and beverage industries with pumps and systems for homogenization and dispersion, as well as for other processing operations in the food industry. We work with you to plan all the important process-related operations, such as conveying, metering, mixing, heating, and cooling so that you can process your raw product cost-effectively.More Details
LEWA ecoflow is the innovative and universal metering pump with DPS diaphragm protection system in a tried-and-tested modular system. Suitable for numerous applications, the ecoflow is our real all-around talent, relied on by customers from all industries.More Details
LEWA ecoflow is also available in sanitary/hygienic. The metering pump for hygienic applications has the same all-around capabilities and fulfills all specifications for pharmaceutical and food production.More Details
A sanitary/hygienic version is also available for the LEWA ecodos. Here, we meet all requirements for operation in pharmaceutical and food production.More Details
The LEWA triplex process diaphragm pump is among the world's most compact high-pressure pumps and can even be set up in the tightest spaces when space is at a premium. The power package has proven its strength in numerous high-pressure processes in a variety of industries. Oil and Gas icon Gas odor icon gray Refinery icon Petrochemicals icon Chemicals icon Plastics icon gray Cleaning icon Cosmetics icon Pharma icon Food icon Energy icon Other iconMore Details
Customer-specific batch/continuous systems for your production process. Metering, mixing, filling, separating, controlling temperature: We work with you to develop the ideal process-related sequence and produce the system that fits your production process – right up to the end product.More Details